Tuesday 15 October 2013

Illustration Weekly Briefing 15.10.13

Lecturer: Ian Massey

The focus of this weeks lecture was on contemporary illustration. Therefore, our task was to bring in an example of an illustration I found interesting and write a paragraph about it. The image I chose was 'A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing' by Jonathan Woodward, found from the 'Big Book of Contemporary Illustration' by Martin Dawber (2009).

Jonathan Woodward, A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing (2008)

This image caught my eye with Woodward's use of mixed media collage, including photography, text and acrylic paint. I particularly value how Woodward has chosen specific tones and images for his collage background as it sets a night time, calm mood. The text which has been used for the sheep's body is quite clever as it indicates the detailed fur strands.

The overall look of the illustration is not perfected, though finished. This suits the style of the artist and makes a unique piece of work. After seeing this, it has inspired me to perhaps include some collage into my own work including numbers.

No comments:

Post a Comment